When it comes to long-term weight loss for obese individuals, bariatric surgery is one of the most effective methods. However, it is possible for bariatric surgery patients to start regaining weight later in life.

Are you currently experiencing this problem? If so, Dr. Long and the Birmingham Minimally Invasive Surgery team can help. Give us a call at (205) 833-6907 to discuss your options, including bariatric revision surgery.

Do I Qualify for Revisional Weight Loss Surgery?

Before determining if revisional weight loss surgery is right for you, it is important that a bariatric surgeon first uncover the root cause of the weight gain. There could be many causes of your weight regain, including increased food consumption, decreased exercise, and more.

At Birmingham Minimally Invasive Surgery, we ask our patients to keep a detailed food journal that also notes their exercise habits. If we determine that overeating has caused the patient to regain weight, it is often a simple fix. When the volume of food consumed begins to increase, so does the size of the stomach pouch. By putting our patients on our comprehensive “back-on-track” program, we can help them return to their former diet and exercise regimen to encourage weight loss.

However, if we determine the cause of the weight regain was not due to behavioral issues such as poor diet or lack of exercise, we will consider bariatric revision surgery.

Certified Bariatric Surgeon in Huntsville, AL

Bariatric revision surgery should only be performed by qualified surgeons experienced in revisions. Why? The procedure poses a greater risk of complications.

Luckily, if you live near Huntsville, our bariatric surgeon Dr. Long is nearby. Not only does Dr. Long have experience performing revisional weight loss surgeries, but he also has almost 20 years of experience performing bariatric surgeries such as gastric bypass and gastric sleeve.

To schedule a consultation with Dr. Long to discuss your weight regain and bariatric revision options, send us a message on our contact form or give us a call!