Birmingham Minimally Invasive Surgery aims to educate patients on the new procedures and technologies to help with weight loss. Our qualified surgeon and staff want our patients to be informed to ensure you are comfortable and confident with our services.
The Orbera gastric balloon also known as Apollo Orbera Surgery, is an innovative way in aiding weight loss. This gastric balloon is temporary, which makes it more appealing and less invasive. This is a non-surgical procedure, which only takes 20-30 minutes to complete. The cost is typically less expensive than more complicated surgeries such as a gastric bypass procedure. We provide support groups and seminars to educate you on the process and the aftercare.
The Perks of ORBERA®
It’s a unique device because it’s temporary and will be removed. This is more of a weight loss tool rather than a “quick fix” surgery. You feel fuller from eating less, and your body begins to get used to ingesting smaller amounts. Gastric balloons have been used for weight loss for over 20 years and are considered a safe weight loss alternative for those looking to get healthier. ORBERA® will help you shed the pounds you need to become more active. This will make physical activity easier as well.
How Orbera Works?
After being provided with a mild sedative, the balloon is placed into the stomach and filled with saline until it reaches the size of a grapefruit. This temporary balloon will make you feel fuller and control portion sizes. Patients typically lose the most weight in the initial months. The Orbera stays in place for six months to ensure you learn to control your portion sizes.
Many people have lost up to three times the weight of traditional diets. However, it’s important to maintain the suggested diet and exercise plan to live a healthier life.
ORBERA Patient Animation – Placement
ORBERA Patient Animation – Removal
The ORBERA® Coach platform is an on-demand telehealth program that provides virtual aftercare support tailored to meet the needs of your patients who undergo the ORBERA® Gastric Balloon procedure.
ORBERA® Coach has been designed to deliver a comprehensive 12-month aftercare program with significant benefits for the ORBERA® patient:
- Welcome kit with diet and exercise aids
- Twelve live 1-on-1 and twelve group sessions with an ORBERA®-trained registered dietitian
- Convenience of not having to go to the physician’s office for aftercare visits
- Allows for scheduling of live aftercare visits from 8 am – 8 pm EST
- Access to hundreds of ORBERA® appropriate recipes
- Downloadable app to allow access to content and coaching from a smart phone or tablet
- Easy to use picture-based food diary
- Exercise program designed specifically for the ORBERA® patient
ORBERA® Coach also provides significant benefits to a busy practice adding the ORBERA® procedure:
- The ability to track data on your patients’ success, as well the ability to manage a growing number of ORBERA® patients
- Allows for delivery of a robust aftercare program, that in most cases can reduce the cost of delivering aftercare